When spec’ing out equipment for a medium duty Class 5 truck with a max GVWR of 19,500 lbs, like a Ford F550, every pound counts. Truck upfitters are supplied with a list of required equipment from a customer, and it can be tough to accommodate everything when under tight weight restrictions. Preferring not to upsize to the next weight class, upfitters and customers are always looking to get creative with Lightweighting and save as much weight as possible, while retaining functionality on their service trucks.
VMAC DTM70-H PTO Driven Air Compressor & Hydraulics Saves Weight
VMAC’s Direct-Transmission Mounted PTO Driven Air Compressor & Hydraulics (DTM70-H) weighs only 180 lbs and combines two systems, allowing customers to run both the air compressor and the hydraulic pump at the same time. Combining these two types of power into one innovative multi-power system not only saves space, but also reduces weight on service trucks to save up to 600 lbs. This PTO driven system saves hundreds of pounds of weight as it requires no air storage tank to mount on the truck deck and requires a 50% smaller hydraulic tank size compared to other hydraulic systems.
What would you do with up to 600 lbs of weight reduction on your service truck? Some ideas include:
- Carry more materials or equipment
- Take advantage of better fuel economy
- Install taller tool cabinets
- Downsize your service truck classification
More on the DTM70-H PTO Driven Multi-Power System
The DTM70-H is a direct-transmission mounted multi-power system that is designed for the F250-550 Super Duty 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel. As described above, these light and medium duty trucks benefit from lightweighting initiatives, which can help provide more options for customers.
While lightweighting is becoming an increasingly important consideration, the performance of the equipment used cannot be compromised. Here are some fast stats on the DTM70-H:
- Up to 70 CFM @ 175 psi*
- A VMAC North-American made rotary screw air compressor produces up to 70 CFM at 100% duty cycle. This provides enough CFM for air tools such as 1” impact wrenches, 60 lb jackhammers/pavement breakers, backfill tampers, OTR tire inflation, and more.
- Up to 14.9 GPM @ 3,265 psi*
- The DTM70-H control system integrates with standard crane controls for easy and simultaneous operations with the air compressor.
*Dependent on pump size and engine RPM.
Visit the DTM70-H product page for more information, and to request a quote.
- Top 5 challenges caused by over-weight heavy duty pickup trucks
- Fuel saving tips for trucks: reduce idling, save on gas
- Going green with VMAC: lightweight & fuel saving air compressors
- VMAC wins Finning-CAT’s 2017 innovative solutions supplier of the year award